Home Remedies for Keloids
When the fibrous tissues become abnormal in growth, the scars appear to be enlarged and thus named as keloids. The reasons behind getting scars on your body are normally the injuries such as cuts, minor burns, scrapes or bites therefore an excess secretion of collagen takes place in the scars thus the keloids are formed. In general, the keloids are not painful but sometimes they might be itchy.
Keloids look weird on your body so obviously nobody will want to have these enlarged ugly scars. Sometimes people become more concern about so they immediately decide to have surgery, injections or laser treatment in order to remove them. So if you have patience and you do not want to spend so much money over getting expensive treatments then you can go for the option of simple remedies that can be done with the natural ingredients to remove the keloids. So here are the remedies given below:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the best for each and every skin problem as it is helpful in minimizing the size and the redness of the scar.
- Apply apple cider vinegar using a cotton ball directly on the affected parts and do gentle massage so that it can easily absorb into the skin.
- Wait until it gets dry then repeat the process in order to accelerate healing.
- Do this remedy certain times a day for the proper results and continue up to five weeks.
If you think that it will cause skin irritation, make it dilute by adding some water or pure tea tree oil.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps to exfoliate the skin and therefore it is manageable in keloids.
- Mix three parts of hydrogen peroxide with one part of baking soda and make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area in order to reduce inflammation and speed up the healing process.
- Do this remedy at least three times a day or it just depends upon the severity of the scars.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon contains antioxidants and vitamin C so it tends to be good in removing the different types of scars, including keloids. Your color would be improved further, texture and appearance of your skin will be good.
- Extract the fresh lemon juice and apply directly on the scars.
- Leave for half an hour then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process at least once daily.
The aspirin that you take for getting rid of headaches and other matters, the same aspirin is used to fight with keloids because it helps in removing the size of scars and appearance.
- Take four aspirin tablets and crush them then add a small amount of water to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the scar then allow it to dry completely. Rinse it off with water.
- Pat dry the area and apply some olive oil or you can use coconut oil.
- Do this process daily until you see the keloids are completely gone.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is best of all these remedies and is very good for all the skin problems. It will reduce the inflammation by keeping your skin moisturized. It also helps in preventing the skin infections.
- Cleanse the scarred area with lukewarm water.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the scars two times daily.
6. Sandalwood and Rose Water
Sandalwood contains lots of important properties related to the skin problems and rose water is a natural toner for the skin. When you use both of them together, they will do wonders to reduce and lighten the keloids scars.
- Make a thick paste with sandalwood powder and rose water. If you want, you can use the black gram too. Black gram will be available to you at Asian supermarket.
- First clean the scar with water then apply this paste before going to bed. In the next morning, wash the area gently with lukewarm water.
- Do this remedy on regular basis for a month or two.
Honey contains natural moisturizing properties and is a natural humectant that heals the scars. Therefore, honey is highly recommended to treat keloids.
- Apply fresh and natural honey on the scars and then massage with gentle motions of your hands as to increase the blood circulation and to prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells.
- For the better results, you should use Tualang honey that is made by the bees from the Tualang tree. It would minimize the number of proliferated cells in keloids and thus reducing the appearance of these scars.
Garlic contains antibacterial properties and protect against the excessive fibroblast proliferation that is responsible for increasing the keloids form.
- Apply garlic oil directly on the scars.
- Leave it for 10 minutes then wash off the area gently.
In case, if garlic is not available, you can also use the crushed garlic cloves and if it cause itching or burning sensation, you can immediately wash the area with lukewarm water.
9. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil has skin rejuvenating properties that help in removing all types of scars including the keloids. It is also good to increase the skin cell turnover rate which is beneficial in protecting the scars from becoming permanent.
- Decrease the size of your scar by applying lavender essential oil and massage gently for few minutes. Do this remedy several times a day for best and faster results.
- You can also mix equal amounts of lavender and tea tree oils to apply on the scars.
10. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is generally recognized as “multani matti” which is highly appreciable to get rid of different types of scars, including keloids.
- In a bowl, add one tbsp. of fuller’s earth, one tsp of lemon juice and one tsp of rose water then mix all of these ingredients to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the scarred area then massage gently in order to soften the scar. Allow the paste to dry then apply another layer.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes then wash off thoroughly with cold water.
- Do this remedy daily until the scar vanishes.